Sunday, November 28, 2010

Joy

It's late, and I should be in bed, but tonight I was thinking about joy.

Joy vs. Cynicism. They really are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

One is the sum total of focusing on the good things around us, the good that has happened in our lives and the sweet pleasure that we feel for our blessings. We all have them, either great or small; each of our lives have many, many blessings, those moments or people or experiences that make our very souls thrill for the happiness they hold!

The other is the sum total of focusing on the bad, the rotten things that happen to us, the rotten things that people do to us, the bad luck that seems to take over at times and grind our very hearts into the ground. We all experience it to some extent, it happens to all, irregardless of rich or poor, beautiful or plain, large or small, either to a greater or smaller degree. We’re not alone; we experience it in a universal way.

When bad things happen, it's often easy to lose sight of the big picture, to get cynical and discouraged. Sometimes, it is far too easy to let go of my hope and abandon myself, even if momentarily, to the negativity of cynicism. I don't like it. It makes me feel miserable, and so, eventually, I pull myself up by the bootstraps and start anew on a quest to count my blessings.

There is something cleansing to the soul in honestly acknowledging our blessings. If all good things come from God, then looking for the blessings in our life will naturally draw our focus back onto him.

Like Israel in the wilderness, rather than groveling in my complaints, I can't look to that symbol on the staff... and I can raise my sights back to my Messiah and remember his love and mercy. Those two things alone can be enough to lift my spirits.

In his mercy, I've raised four of the most beautiful and amazing children I could have ever hoped for. In his mercy, I have a knowledge that explains the complexities of what life is all about, the purpose to my daily breaths, the struggle and suffering... I understand that it strengthens me and ultimately teaches me lessons that stretch beyond this earth and I've come to know him.

Through his mercy, I know that there is a life beyond this life. That, alone, is amazing to me. As I get old and start to ache and wrinkle and deal with disease, I know that I will be whole again... not in this life, but it will happen. In his mercy, I have healthy food on my table, fresh food in the fridge, and my pantries are full. I live in a peaceful place not torn by war. I have running water, hot and cold, and flushing toilets... with toilet paper!

And THAT is a blessing!

There is much, much more... and so, while I may have to occasionally deal with very, very, very unpleasant people, sometimes masquerading under false pretenses or drowning in rude bullying arrogance, and while I may sometimes have to deal with misfortune or the bitterness of unmet expectations, dreams and desires, I can remind myself that the way I see it will always be a choice. Like Betsy, who saw the hand of God even in their infestation of lice, which kept the brutal Nazi guards away from the inner sanctum of their quarters, I can do my best to see the good in all that is around me.

Somehow, it doesn't matter how old the earth is, or how dinosaurs and Clovis man fit into the picture. I don't know all things, but there are many things of which I am sure. God is real. He answers my prayers. He provides miracles when I seek them in his will. He is so kind and gentle and merciful with me. He is a loving God. For that, I am thankful.

In the end, I am not a prisoner in a concentration camp, and while it can feel akin to that sometimes during tax season, I have to remember that I have a home to pay taxes on. I am free. I've known supernal love. I can raise my eyes to focus on the good all around me. I am alive. I can enjoy the open fellowship of my children, my grandchildren, my pets and my friends. I can feel the wind on my face, enjoy a lovely harvest moon, count the stars in the sky and blow kisses to Sophie.

I don't know when the second coming will be, but I know that it will happen in the world some day. It will probably happen sooner than that for me.

All told... life is good.

And that is joy.

Be gone, cynicism!

Welcome, Joy. Welcome back to my heart! I am blessed. God is great and merciful. He answers my prayers and loves us all. Life is good...

… as long as we keep our focus on all that is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment